Friday, February 3

Baby Steps to Preservation


So for several weeks now, we have really been considering what we eat. It all started with a little documentary called "Food Matters" that I just happened to sit down and watch one day. (It's instant play on Netflix, if you're interested!) It really changed the way I look at food and got me thinking about our lifestyle. I wouldn't say that we eat unhealthy... I try to feed my family nutritious and unprocessed food, but we've started looking for ways to improve our overall health.

First, we have started taking several vitamin supplements. In addition to food it's important to take a good multivitamin, a vitamin C supplement, a probiotic, and an oil supplement (flax seed or fish oil). I've noticed a big change. I did a lot of research looking for a good vitamin and a reasonable price and settled on www.vitabase.com. They really seem to do a good job for the money!

Second, we did a detox. Not fun, but necessary. If you immediately stop eating processed foods and jump right into an entire organic diet it can shock your body! When a toxin enters the body through food, beauty products or the environment our bodies take that toxin, wrap it in mucus and store it kind of like fat. A detox is necessary to rid the bodies of toxins then allowing the cells to absorb the rich nutrients of organic foods. We used a cleansing system from Vitabase and it worked for us!

We, as a society, pour so much money into material things but feed our bodies junk that will shorten our lives or at least reduce the quality of life. We kind of have things backwards. The best solution is to use organic ingredients and make as much of your own food as possible. While this is ideal... it is also very expensive and time consuming. I am all about making our food from scratch, but organic is expensive and the bills must be paid. :) So right now our family is taking baby steps. I've started making all of our own breads and tortillas and we've switched to some organic products. It's a very gratifying experience!

One thing that has been tugging at my mind has been the microwave. Can it really be good for your to use a machine that heats your food in 30-45 seconds?!?! I knew that it reduced the nutritional value of food but when I read this post on microwaves, we knew it was time to take the "great unplugging". We rarely used our microwave anyway, just for the occasional leftover warm-up or when I forget to finish my morning tea. :) So it really wasn't a huge step, but we sure feel good about taking it! And my, oh my the counter space it freed up! Here she is on her way to Goodwill...



After all, we are the temple of the Holy Ghost and our bodies are a gift from God. We need to take care of them.

No comments: