Thursday, December 22

Best Upholstery Cleaner Ever

When we moved to Maine last year my in-laws gave us their tan suede couch. Since then, my children have been less than friendly to it. I've cleaned it multiple times with variable success. Finally it got to the point that no matter how much I scrubbed, it would not come clean. So out came the couch cover.

Then a few weeks ago, my son somehow came across a red Sharpie marker and drew all over the arm of the couch while I was on the phone. I was mortified and immediately turned to my best friend in these situations: Google. The best suggestion seemed to be rubbing alcohol and a wet cloth. By the time I finished scrubbing the arm looked brand-new!

So I finally took the time to do the whole couch yesterday, and it looks 100% better! (It works best if you put it in a spray bottle.) Forget all those expensive upholstery cleaners with all the chemicals... just grab a bottle of rubbing alcohol for $1 and start scrubbing!

4 comments:

Erin said...

wow, nice. google is also a good friend of mine. i just 'googled' a glaze for my ham. (o; i have leather couches but i wonder if it would work on rugs. hmmmmm.

Amanda said...

What a great idea, Erin! I tried it on the white carpet I our bedroom and it worked great!

Anonymous said...

We used to use a similar method with Chad when we were in college. One time he drew all over himself with a Sharpie. We bought an industrial-sized drum of alcohol, a power washer, a wire brush, and a squeegee. Sure enough, when we were done, he was as good as new. But it didn't help him jump any higher, and he still moved like Rik Smits on the basketball court.

BTW, the alcohol trick also works with highlighter.

Amanda said...

Bahahahaha! Oh I am dying to know who wrote that!